Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know the name of this OTHER plant/tree?

Posted by Cancos none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 18:25

We are deciding whether we want to remove or keep these plants/trees that are in our backyard. We just recently bought the home, but are completely unsure how big they grow or what they produce. Please let me know with your comments below. Thanks! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know the name of this OTHER plant/tree?

based on how it appears to be planted.. bound.. staked.. tortured and all the dead parts..

i am not sure i would bother with trying to save it.. regardless of what it is..

once you get your ID.. head over to the tree or fruit forum.. and ask if it is worthy of your attention.. or better off dead... and a pic of the whole will help..

i also wonder if it is telephone poled.. planted too deep ... aka improperly planted .... God knows why a plant that size would need two stakes.. and what looks like steel cable to hold it up ....

and do understand.. i am being very honest.. since you did not do this ...

ken

o

Here is a second photo

o

OUCH

o

lol calliope

o

Agree that whatever it is is staked to within an inch of its life - remove those stakes if you MAY want to keep it.

A closeup of the foliage, twigs and bark will help with ID. Also, tell us where it is planted (city/state.)

o

I would say it is probably an 'ornamental' pear. It has clearly been horribly treated and vilely hacked about in the name of 'pruning'. Even if you wanted a Pyrus calleryana (which most knowledgeable tree people in the US wouldn't touch with a barge pole) this one is a disaster. I seldom advocate killing plants but for this one it would be a mercy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here