Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea-looking plant

Posted by empressjenf 6b PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 19:02

This plant is growing among the clover in my sun garden, right next to some lavender I planted a few months ago. The plant is sort of branching out a few inches off the ground. I swear it looks like my neighbor's azalea, but that is on the other side of the house. What is it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea-looking plant

Portulaca oleracea

o

Purslane is a succulent superfood high in Omega-3's, btw...

And flowering varieties even have larger, stunning, prolific neon blooms too!
http://bradpetehoops.blogspot.com/2014/06/purselane-kulasiman-gulasiman-ulasimanpu.html

You can often find it sold in fresh produce in Mexican supermarkets.. But for some reason, ignorant North Americans simply try to eradicate it like a useless weed. I guess if it grows very easily with no maintenance...then it "can't" be good???

Here is a link that might be useful: Purslane

o

Thanks! I can't say I'm going to eat it, but I like the way it looks, so I don't intend to remove it. If it comes back next year it will have to move though -- it's a bit close to my lavender.

I totally agree with you on ignorance of plants. Ignorance extends to insects too, or at least it does in my neighborhood.

o

its a horribly aggressive reseeding weed in my garden ... you wont need to move it.. it will be everywhere .... i am pretty sure its an annual weed ...

make your own choice.. if you wish to encourage it.. all the power to ya ..

but you might live to regret that decision ..

ken

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 12:16

Empress - 'comes back next year'....It's an annual. It will self sow with abandon and new seedlings will appear next year when the weather gets warm enough. As for pulling it out, seeds (many hundred) will mature in the pods even if the plant is pulled and left with its roots turned upward. Seeds can remain viable in the soil for many decades. The plant itself is frost tender, and will be killed by the first fall freeze. .

o

I should point out that it is growing near some irises that I didn't plant and don't really like, a butterfly bush (which, in my area, supposedly grow like weeds), a Rose of Sharon (again, like weeds), and the lavender I just planted (which is happily growing through this plant).

I rent, so the grass is not my problem and has spots here and there from the neighbor kids, neighborhood trash, and my dog's "pee spots." If this was my yard I'd maybe be more concerned. As long as it doesn't affect my bushes or make its way around to the front of our row where my "real" garden is, I don't care where it grows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here