Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have no idea what to do with this plant

Posted by TOK1D0K1 NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 19:22

I bought this plant at a plant sale back in the Spring. I asked about the basic care instructions but totally forgot to ask what the plant was named. The lady who sold it to me also never mentioned that new stalks/stems would come out and I have no idea what to do with them. The attached picture is close to what it looked like when I bought it (but bigger now), but the little stems growing from in between the leaves and the main stalk started growing after I repotted the plant, as shown. I'm not sure whether to let the secondary stems keep growing or if I should try to cut them off and try to get the cuttings to root. It's been a month since the picture and now there's even more new stalks (over 10). I'm hoping that knowing it's name will make it easier to figure out what to do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have no idea what to do with this plant

Your plant is Callisia fragrans. It is pretty aggressive and will outgrow that container. You could try it in a basket and cut off the shoots to make new plants or just let them hang. The flowers smell pretty.

o

Thank you so much!! I've repotted it again since that picture but the plant just keeps getting bigger and bigger still. I'll try to cut off the shoots and see if they root in water. I'll look forward to the flowers, then! Thanks again!

o

Flower stalks usually start showing up on my plants around the first of the year. They get very tall. Those stolons don't look ready to propagate to me. If left alone a while longer, they will develop more at the tips. When that happens, it will start to make aerial root nubs near the end, at the bottom of the clumps of foliage at the tips. Much like babies on a spider plant - it's not the stem that propagates but the babies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here