Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
just a weed?

Posted by loris Z6 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 19:23

I'm pretty sure this one is nothing I'd want to keep but I thought I'd check before pulling have it on my list of plants to yank out. I often give reprieves though for native plants especially if they are good for wildlife.

These usually grow straight up with a slight curve even though this picture makes it look like a ground-cover growing sideways .

What is it?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: just a weed?

loris, the photo doesn't show up for me.

When you get to Preview, what you see there is what we'll see in the final post. If a link doesn't work in Preview, it won't work in the final post. If a photo doesn't show up in Preview, it won't show up in the final post.

Usual suspects for non-visible photos include:

= a mistake in the link to the photo's location.

= the photo is in your email account (which we don't have access to/password for).

o

Thanks. I didn't hit submit when I originally did this so I probably timed out. I hope it shows up now. (I'll check)

o

Japanese stiltgrass, I believe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Microstegium vimineum

o

Horrible stuff, thankfully easy to pull out and it's an annual. Be sure to get it all before it goes to seed (in Georgia that is late September or October).

o

Thanks carrieb and esh_ga. I'm glad I asked. It's become a problem in some natural areas here so getting rid of it is now my top weeding priority.

o

as soon as you note.. that it has become a problem.. and that being part of the definition of WEED ... when it really didnt need a name ... other than for curiosity ...

a problem plant is a weed .. period ...

would you have kept your problem ... had they told you it was a valuable plant ..???

ken

o

ken,

It wasn't (isn't) very widespread in my yard yet. If it wasn't bad for natural areas I might have left int alone since it wasn't really bothering me.

I'm less interested in "valuable" plants than plants that help me in these goals:

1. not spreading invasives (although I have more than I want here--some purchased by my husband, some that came with the house or as in this case some that just showed up one day)
2.having a habitat garden
3.having more native plants.

I've ended up with many plants I like by getting id's on what just shows up. I like plants other people might not want in their yard. My first questions about a plant are "What can eat it?", "What can use it for shelter or nesting material?".

On the other hand I don't think closed gentian or queen of the prairie do much for wildlife but I ended up buying some of each just because I really like how they look.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 16:16

Well, closed gentians are valuable to bumblebees in late season (lol).
I've never successfully grown queen of the prairies to see what likes it...but I sure love the look ;)

o

Thanks dbarron. It's good to know closed gentian is good for a pollinator besides being pretty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here