Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loris_gw

just a weed?

loris
9 years ago

I'm pretty sure this one is nothing I'd want to keep but I thought I'd check before pulling have it on my list of plants to yank out. I often give reprieves though for native plants especially if they are good for wildlife.

These usually grow straight up with a slight curve even though this picture makes it look like a ground-cover growing sideways .

What is it?

Thanks

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

loris, the photo doesn't show up for me.

When you get to Preview, what you see there is what we'll see in the final post. If a link doesn't work in Preview, it won't work in the final post. If a photo doesn't show up in Preview, it won't show up in the final post.

Usual suspects for non-visible photos include:

= a mistake in the link to the photo's location.

= the photo is in your email account (which we don't have access to/password for).

• loris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I didn't hit submit when I originally did this so I probably timed out. I hope it shows up now. (I'll check)

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

Japanese stiltgrass, I believe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Microstegium vimineum

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Horrible stuff, thankfully easy to pull out and it's an annual. Be sure to get it all before it goes to seed (in Georgia that is late September or October).

• loris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks carrieb and esh_ga. I'm glad I asked. It's become a problem in some natural areas here so getting rid of it is now my top weeding priority.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

as soon as you note.. that it has become a problem.. and that being part of the definition of WEED ... when it really didnt need a name ... other than for curiosity ...

a problem plant is a weed .. period ...

would you have kept your problem ... had they told you it was a valuable plant ..???

ken

• loris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ken,

It wasn't (isn't) very widespread in my yard yet. If it wasn't bad for natural areas I might have left int alone since it wasn't really bothering me.

I'm less interested in "valuable" plants than plants that help me in these goals:

1. not spreading invasives (although I have more than I want here--some purchased by my husband, some that came with the house or as in this case some that just showed up one day)
      2.having a habitat garden
      3.having more native plants.

I've ended up with many plants I like by getting id's on what just shows up. I like plants other people might not want in their yard. My first questions about a plant are "What can eat it?", "What can use it for shelter or nesting material?".

On the other hand I don't think closed gentian or queen of the prairie do much for wildlife but I ended up buying some of each just because I really like how they look.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Well, closed gentians are valuable to bumblebees in late season (lol).
    I've never successfully grown queen of the prairies to see what likes it...but I sure love the look ;)

• loris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks dbarron. It's good to know closed gentian is good for a pollinator besides being pretty.