Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please name this grass

Posted by mckenziek 9CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 19:30

This grass grows on my property. I posted images before, but with no seed head, and there was no definitive ID. Now I have pictures of the seed head, so I am reposting. Note that the measuring tape is in cemtimeters, not inches.

whole plant
whole plant
upload img

seed head 2
seed head 2
20mb image hosting

seed head close-up
seed head closeup
free pic

front side
front side
free pic

back side
backside
free pic

leaf is a little under 2cm wide
leaf width
screenshot windows 7

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please name this grass

• Posted by catspa NoCA Z9 Sunset 14 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 20:19

I believe that is Phalaris: good possibility being Phalaris aquatica, judging by the length/shape of the inflorescence. Common name would be Harding grass; a non-native (though there are are native Phalaris) planted widely by Caltrans and many others.

o

Thanks! Now that you pointed me in the right direction and I have read about it a bit, I believe it is P. aquatica. Sometimes it is hard to know where to even start. That is why this forum is so great.

McKenzie

o

Yes, very likely Phalaris aquatica. California has all eleven of the native and non-native Phalaris species found in the US, per BONAP. Of those, the two large ones are P. aquatica and P. arundinacea. That second one, though, has heads spread like fescue, so P. aquatica pretty much wins by default. If you're interested in details, the Grass Manual on the Web is an excellent resource. Follow the link to their home page, then browse the menu on the left side of the screen to Phalaris, and click on the Treatment button for the full key. Or just browse further down to Phalaris aquatica, click the treatment button, and it will take you to the page with detailed description. I also included a close shot of our smaller Phalaris caroliniana for comparison. The structure is surprisingly similar to your plant.

photo Phalariscaroliniana3.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Grass Manual on the Web

This post was edited by jekeesl on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 23:12

o

Thanks jekeesl!

You are right, that P. caroliniana picture looks almost like a smaller version of what I have.

McKenzie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here