Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
all over my "lawn"

Posted by mattp321 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 19:47

Much of my lawn is this. In addition to the bermudagrass and clover. I have no idea what it is, but if someone can help me learn I can search about how to kill it.
Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: all over my "lawn"

It is a Lespedeza, perhaps L. repens.

o

Or Makino Korean clover:
http://courses.missouristate.edu/pbtrewatha/korean_lespedeza.htm

This page talks about various similar weeds and how to control them in lawns:
http://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.cfm?number=B1395

It's easy to pull (once the stems are tough enough not to break), provided you have a lot of time!

o

It may also be one of the Kummerowia species. Those are similar to Lespedeza, but have ovate stipules and heavily lined leaves.

o

Thanks for everyone's help! It does look very very similar to the Kummerowia, which according to Wikipedia was "formerly in genus Lespedeza."

So basically my "lawn" is being dominated by Japanese and Korean clover, plus good ole American white clover. I need to forget the roundup and get a can of gasoline and a match instead.

o

Are you sure gasoline and a match will get the roots? I'm a round-up fan. JMHO

o

'good ole American white clover.' Sorry - even that one is an alien in N America ;-)

o

The two Kummerowia species you might see in the States are K. striata (Japanese Bushclover) and K. stipulacea (Korean Bushclover). K. striata leaves are on very short petioles, and K. stipulacea leaves have petioles 4-10 mm long (averages about 1/4 inch). If the stems are also quite hairy, with hairs appressed toward the stem base, then you probably have Japanese Bushclover. If the stem hairs are sparse, it's probably Korean Bushclover. Yours looks more like K. striata to me.

o

a horrible weed in my yard...

will sprout and dominate any bare soil ... including cracks in ashphalt that get to 125 degrees in the sun ...

grow the lawn to perfection.. and it will disappear ...

its nearly time to seed lawn ... you could kill this stuff.. RU ?? ... and prep the soil .. for grass seeding ... in later august/early sept ...

ken

ps: w/o even a pic.. i will guess.. you are an optimist.. to call it a lawn ... if this is everywhere.. lol ...

o

Here's a close up pic.

Ken its worse, not only all this foreign clover, but its also overrun with bermudagrass. Which actually crosses sidewalks and roots itself on the other side.

I think desertdance is right, gasoline is not enough. I'll try to source some agent orange for these weeds!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here