Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
4 Unknown Evergreen plants

Posted by Evergreentall 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 20:13

Hi everyone. I've bought these plants couple of days ago and don't know their names. There are four different plants in that container and the seller says they are all evergreen. I can post close up pictures of them too if necessary. Please help me identify them. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 4 Unknown Evergreen plants

Pittosporum, pieris & podocarpus?

o

I'm familiar with Podocarpus macrophyllus 'Maki' and have forgotten most of what I've read about other Podocarps, so I'm not sure how much my opinion is worth. 8-/

To me, the leaves in the photo look too short to be a Podocarpus. Also, Evergreentall is somewhere in zone 5, and while my two 'Maki' are happy on the east side of the house (supposedly 7a -- but a definite 6b this past winter), zone 5 seems unlikely.

Evergreentall, were these sold to you as shrubs which could survive your winter, or as houseplants? Was the seller in your zone 5, or somewhere much milder?

o

Thank you restoner. Now I'm sure that the one with the red leaves on top is definitely pieris.
And thank you missingtheobvious.On the description tag there wasn't much information, only "Evergreen". and the seller is also in zone 5.
I put the close up picture of the taller plant here.

o

Picea abies glauca

o

The lowest plant could be some type of boxwood trained to grow downward.

Fourth plant could be a juniper of some kind or maybe a chamaecyparis.

o

Nope to Picea abies glauca but close ;-)

Picea glauca 'Conica' (Dwarf Alberta spruce)

Dax

o

Thank you everyone.
So the tall one in the back seems to be Picea glauca 'Conica' (Dwarf Alberta spruce). For the two front plant I'll add two more detailed pictures. Lets see if they help better.

This post was edited by Evergreentall on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 17:44

o

Next plant on the left side.

o

Pieris japonica
dwarf Alberta spruce
Juniper, possibly Juniperus scopulorum
kinnikinnick, Arctostaphylos uva-ursi

o

Thank you very much gardengal48. You are very knowledgeable. I would have never found out about kinnikinnick without the help of a horticulturist. Now that I know them all, I love them all.
Thank you everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here