Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auri_gw

Grass That Grows From a Bulb - Desirable Plant

auri
9 years ago

I've included a photo of the plant in question. A neighbor gave it to me, planted densely in a great big pot. They are very thick grass shoots with a strong wax coating growing 2 - 4 sprouts from each bulb. They aren't green onions or chives, because the shoots are not hollow & much stronger. I separated a couple to put in the glass jar with marbles by my window. Now that I think about it, maybe not the best environment, but they are actually doing better than the outside group in the pot.

I have searched all over the internet, with no luck. She mentioned it is a grass type from Thailand. I also am trying to figure why the outside group is dying, but it's so difficult without knowing it's native environment or what species it is : / I will post a separate thread under "dying plants" or similar forum type. I'm new here.

Comments (13)

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

A Sedge possibly.

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

Could you show us a photo of the plant(s) outside?

• auri
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the outside ones. . . the bulb section is not as visible underneath the soil.

• trini1trini
    9 years ago

It could actually be a rain lily-zephyranthes

• alisonoz_gw
    9 years ago

I was thinking the same as trini 1

• jean001a
    9 years ago

If an ornamental need to see the flowers.

"Grass type from Thailand?"
    Does your neighbor use it for cooking? If so, possibly lemon grass?

• regine_Z 10 Fl gw
    9 years ago

I also think it is lemon grass.

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

Lemongrass have leaves that are thick, flat blades, doesn't look like those pictured.

I hope you can figure out what it is and take proper care of it...looks like it isn't thriving right now, imo.

• auri
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@trini1 + @alisonoz - I think you're right!! Looks just like rain lily-zephyranthes on google images.

@jean001a - I've only owned them for about 1 month, I haven't seen any flowers, seeds, or dried buds. However, the ends are slightly crispy & I could see where it could've had stems on certain stems. Getting excited!

@regine - I have broken a stem or two by mistake and there isnt any lemony scent or flavor, but I thought so too & have done some extensive research & the lemongrass blades dont match well enough as Donna mentioned.

Picture of Rain Lilies from the net:

• auri
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@trini1 + @alisonoz - I think you're right!! Looks just like rain lily-zephyranthes on google images.

@jean001a - I've only owned them for about 1 month, I haven't seen any flowers, seeds, or dried buds. However, the ends are slightly crispy & I could see where it could've had stems on certain stems. Getting excited!

@regine - I have broken a stem or two by mistake and there isnt any lemony scent or flavor, but I thought so too & have done some extensive research & the lemongrass blades dont match well enough as Donna mentioned.

Picture of Rain Lilies from the net:

{{!gwi}}

• auri
    Original Author
    9 years ago

photo of the bulbs for reference

I have updated the disease & pests thread, so they can help me identify the best care for the ailing plants. Thank you for all the input, additional suggestions are more than welcome.

• alisonoz_gw
    9 years ago

yes, well they are definitely bulbs not a grass, and I think zephyranthes are your best bet.
    They really are not "ailing" and I can't see any signs of disease. I think what you have inherited is a slightly pot-bound clump of bulbs that have multiplied over the years but been cramped. They won't thrive in that bottle of water, or survive too long really, in the ground or in a pot is best.
    They have been planted deeply or perhaps have worked themselves down in the pot over time, so plant them either to the same level they were at, or at least 1/2 the depth of the brown part. All they will need is watering in and add some fertilizer to the soil and gradually bring them out into natural light.
    They will flower better in sun, and flowering is sporadic and can be triggered by rain-storms - hence the name.
    In my climate, sub-tropical, they do go dormant at times and can lose all their leaves, so I would not expect them to be leaf-perfect all year round.

• auri
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@alisonoz. Okay, this helps a lot! I have half the bulbs inside in the jar w/ marbles & half outside in the pot, I should combine them to all outside.

When they go dormant, should I stop watering or continue the usual water schedule to dampen the soil whenever it dries out?