Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nnmjdklil

weed with lots of bulbs?

nnmjdklil
9 years ago

My husband took the weedwhacker to all the weeds we had in a corner of the pool area (my fault-- I asked him to) so I unfortunately don't have a picture of what the green part of this thing looked like. I do have a picture somewhere of all the weed activity in this area bfore e started removing all the rocks that surrounded them, maybe that will help.

Anyway, once the rocks were significantly depleted, I started pulling up weed-roots and there were 5 or 6 areas that were inundated with clumps and clumps these little bulbs that looked kinda like tiny onions, with no smell whatsoever. I started to notice that they were connected to some pretty huge roots. I seriously must've pulled out a thousand of these little bulbs and lots of big roots too. It's disheartening bc I know there must be a lot still in the ground there and I assume they will continue to grow and grow unless every bulb is gotten, which of course it never will be. Sigh.

Any identification here would be much appreciated, and any advice even more so. I've already gotten so much help form everyone on here, I know if there's a solution, this is the place to find it.

For what it's worth, the only thing we are leaving in this little area are 3 clumps of grasses, and if there's a solution to the bulb thing that would work but kill the grasses, I'm definitely ok with that. Can start the whole area from scratch, just like most every other area in my garden, ha!

Comments (20)

• nnmjdklil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

close up

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    9 years ago

Yellow nutsedge seems a likely possibility. Looks like a broad-leaved grass, spreads by rhizomes and bulbs, and is the devil to eradicate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow nutsedge

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

Those bulbs are not nutsedge. They do, however, look like crocus.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Definitely not nutsedge. Possibly crocus.

• nnmjdklil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha, after looking up nutsedge I was about to say "that might be it!" because i do remember some of the weeds looking rather grass-like before the weedwhacking (couldn't find a picture, darnit). So I'm a little curious why 2 of you said it's definitely not.

On the other hand if by crocus, you mean those pretty little purple or yellow flowers that pop up at the start of spring, I don't remember ever seeing them up there at all. Seems they'd be hard to miss what with all the hundreds of bulbs I pulled already-- whatever it is, I have a lot of it. I'll wait and see what grows back now that I've pulled these out-- I'm not in a super big hurry to do anything with the area yet. Plenty other more important spots for me to work on in the meantime : )

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Crocosmia is another possibility.

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

are you sure those big roots are "connected" to these bulbs?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

look like crocus to me... based on this pic ... its the unique hairy coverage ... sorta like a hairy coconut ... see link

if crocus ... or most bulbs.. they could be stored dry until fall planting time ... like in an onion bag ...

or replanted ...

i wonder if you could cold treat a few... and force them to bloom .. no clue.. just an idea ... to find out what they are ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

9 years ago

Yes, Shadeyplace, a critical clue is whether or not the bulbs are actually connected to those fleshy-looking roots or possibly rhizomes. Crocus or such wouldn't have that but it is a particular characteristic of nutsedge.

Sometimes you can have of ton of legit flower bulbs and not many, or even any, blooms-- bulbs either too immature or crowded or some other factor not right. Brodiaea comes to mind immediately.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Crocosmia corms would be connected and it spreads like crazy. Completely unlike Crocus.

9 years ago

Crocosmia -- ah yes, my mother had an ever-expanding swathe of that and it does put out fleshy-white, root-like stolons -- see link, scroll down to 2nd photo.

Croscosmia would have a distinct sort of foliage, a couple of feet tall or more -- the pre-weedwhacker photo, if available, could be helpful!

With Crocosmia, at least it has a pretty flower (assuming it ever blooms), even if as much a thug as nutsedge...

Here is a link that might be useful: Crocosmia stolon photo

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

The nutsedge "nuts" I've seen are too small, and not quite that shape, and would be connected along roots. None of those roots look likely.

You will see many photos of nutsedge nuts here -- they're not at all like the ones in the OP's photo:
    http://imgarcade.com/1/yellow-nutsedge-tubers/

The bulbs do look like crocus; however, I can't swear there aren't other plants with similar-looking bulbs. They could be crocus: they could be something I don't know. But they could not be yellow or purple nutsedge.

• nnmjdklil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not 100% sure they're connected to the roots-- I thought I was but now I'm second guessing myself. Maybe they only got tangled up in the roots? I think at this point I'll just let whatever's there grow again and then dig up a few things to see which comes from the bulbs, take more pictures when it does. I don't remember any flowers of any kind ever being there, except some thing that had big spiny puffballs coming off the top of tall stems. I don't think they were colored though. Problem w ALL of this is I can't really trust my memory on any of it. I basically don't come up here at all until the pool gets opened in May and the window between then and when husband weedwhacked was pretty small.

I'll post more info as soon as I have it! Thanks to everyone for all the good insight-- I'm sure one of these ideas is probably the right one and I've just given some wrong information somewhere along the way. Sheesh! : )

9 years ago

Well, the anticipation will be killing us :-). As several pointed out, my idea of yellow nutsedge not likely because the bulbs have fibrous covering and are otherwise not like, and if roots and bulbs aren't connected then there goes the last slender thread of that little hypothesis. On the other hand, lots of bulbs with fibrous coats out there (many native bulbs in California, species glads for example, and crocus and crocosmia) that also proliferate like crazy -- but "big spiny puffballs"? I'll stay tuned!

• nnmjdklil
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok it's spring and the things-- whatever they are-- are back! Whatever had the big spiny puffballs appears to be gone now, guess I got that out, hehe. I have a lot more of this other stuff left than I thought though and overall it's just bad news so I think we will just take everything out. Still curious to what they are though...

• nnmjdklil
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    8 years ago

Looks like crocus. They're one of the first bulbs that flowers in the spring.

nnmjdklil thanked sandyslopes z5 n. UT
  • nnmjdklil
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks guys! I didn't see any crocus flowers on them last year so I didn't think that's what they were when others suggested it last year but I didn't know they could sometimes not bloom!! Very interesting. We have a few in our grass here and there, the darker purple ones and the bright deep yellow-- not sure how they got there in such random places but they're pretty so I don't mind em.

Thanks again!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

not sure how they got there in such random places

==>>> because every time you pull something else out.. you drag those corms with them ..

many of us.. have them out in the lawn ... from carrying the weeds across such ... check out the link below ...

ken

https://www.google.com/search?q=crocus+naturalized&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ZUFCVdmYDsyXNpD4gcgC&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=810&bih=745&dpr=0.9

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting