Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
butterfly seed mix IDs (pic heavy)

Posted by lilangel181 zone 5 (lilangel181@aol.com) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 21:35

Hello,
I was given a random mix of seeds when I donated to save the monarchs this past winter. Everything is finally starting to bloom and I was hoping yall could help ID some of them.

1. Not in bloom yet. About 18 inches tall with three points on most of the leaves.  photo IMAG0017.jpg

2. Not in bloom yet. About 12-15 inches tall with a fuzzy stem and toothy leaves.  photo IMAG0016.jpg

3. Two feet tall. This one has been open a few days already, and looks like another plant is going to bloom orange!. photo IMAG0014.jpg photo IMAG0015.jpg

4. This one smells funny. I can't really describe it well, but its strong- almost spicy. photo IMAG0012.jpg photo IMAG0013.jpg

5. Totally stumped! I realized in uploading that you can't really see the foliage here (its in the bottom left corner of photo 1 and the background of number 4), but its waxyish and so lobed that the leaf practically traces the veins. It's also about two feet tall. photo IMAG0010.jpg

6. (Last but not least) Is this some kind of pink bachelor button? Each petal is it's own flower and the leaves are silvery green. Plants are about 12-15 inches tall. photo IMAG0008.jpg

Thanks so much for everyone's time and help!!
~ Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: butterfly seed mix IDs (pic heavy)

1. Tithonia rotundifolia/Mexican Sunflower
2. ?
3. Calendula officinalis
4. Euphorbia polychroma/Cushion Spurge?
5. Ismelia carinata/Tricolor Daisy
6. Centaurea cyanus/Cornflower

o

2. Possibly Erechtites hieracifolia. American Burnweed.
4. Is not E polychroma - the perfoliate leaves are wrong. Compare with Smyrnium perfoliatum.

o

#4 looks very spurge-y indeed with the flowers but is hare's ear, Bupleurum rotundifolium

-Ming

o

Oh of course! I considered Burpleurum but could only think of B perfoliatum. Thanks for the reminder.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here