Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tiny vine

Posted by quaker495 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 21:36

This tiny vine is very pretty but invasive; it wraps itself in a tight coil around anything nearby. What is it please? Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tiny vine

one of the infamous knotweeds ...

a nightmare invader ...

i had some on an aged mulch pile is was finally moving.. and i swear the roots went 4 feet deep in that loose media ... ... what a nightmare ...

ken

o

I don't know what this vine is but it doesn't resemble any knotweed I am aware of. The leaf veination looks like a monocot as far as I can make out. Possibly Asparagus asparagoides???

o

• Posted by catspa NoCA Z9 Sunset 14 (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 18:39

Asparagus asparagoides is it, I believe, floral_uk, and I'm very glad you've provided the name and ended my agony. I've encountered this pest personally but my brain would only come up with "bridal veil", leading it to being stuck incorrectly on Tradescantia/Gibasis...

It is only listed as having "moderate" impact by the California Invasive Plant Council, but if you allow it to form tubers (or it already has), you may be a long time getting rid of it, quaker. Birds spread the berries.

Here is a link that might be useful: CAL-IPC Asparagus asparagoides

o

Thank you both: Asparagus asparagoides it is (I googled some more images, and bingo!). Fortunately it is not rampant and it is easy to pull. It pales by comparison to my MGEP (Morning Glory Eradication Project).

Here is a link that might be useful: CalPhotos: Asparagus asparagoides

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here