Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burdock? Weeds?

Posted by katisu 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 22:27

We just bought a house and a previous owner was a master gardener at the Indianapolis Museum of Art's gardens/woods. There have been a few residents in between and everything is really overgrown. We just weeded a flower bed and there were a few that we weren't sure what they were. We know nothing about gardening, but really want to learn.

I think the large-leafed plant is a burdock? And it's a weed? I know the hostas are fine. Someone used a weed whacker (not us) and chopped several down that are coming back.

Anyways, we know the hostas stay. Are the other plants weeds, too?

What is this bush? It looks like it's dying. Can we nurse it back to health?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burdock? Weeds?

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 23:14

Post a closeup of the other ones. Lots of us here prefer one or two plants per post.

o

the one dead center.. looks like a weed to me.. perhaps the burdock ... you mention

we need to focus on a leaf ... and the plant.. not straight down pix.. and throw a scale in ... anything we might recognize ..

ken

o

This one is the one I think is Burdock, a weed. I'm relying heavily on Google image searches to identify things.

Is this for sure a weed?

o

This is what the plants in the back are.

o

Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 16:10

The center one is burdock, a weed.

Last one is Japanese anemone. Lovely plant for part shade, but can be an aggressive spreader in some gardens.

o

This is what the plants in the back look like.

o

Great, thanks! I'm fine with it spreading. I'd love the plants to be much denser in that area.

It won't kill off the hostas will it?

o

Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 16:22

Hostas should be fine. If it spreads so much that it looks like it's overtaking the hosta, you can always dig out a 12-18" ring around the hosta.

o

Barring disease and critters, hostas are normally hard to kill; I wouldn't be worried.

o

Thank you, everyone!

o

BTW there are at least 2 other Burdocks in the top pic. The Japanese Anemone is easy to control if necessary. Just pull/dig out excess clumps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here