Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this in my garden?

Posted by gardening10 11 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 22:43

Hi
I purchased the crowns from Walmart for these plants. They were advertised as being for ever bearing strawberries. The bigger they got the more I realized that these aren't strawberry plants. Does anyone know what these are?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this in my garden?

That's some sort of Persicaria. (In many places they appear as Polygonum, but they were re-classified as Persicaria.)

Has it had spikes of tiny flowers? Colors vary from fluorescent pink to pink to pale pink to white, depending which species it is.

Pennsylvania smartweed (Persicaria pensylvanicum) seems to be one of the most common:
http://essmextension.tamu.edu/plants/plant/smartweed/

Many others are listed here, often with photographs:
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/search.php?start=50&pagecount=50

It's difficult to imagine a Persicaria could ever be confused (by the grower or packer) for a strawberry crown: the leaves are majorly dissimilar. I'd assume the strawberry died, and a Persicaria seed sprouted -- either from whatever was in the bag with the "strawberry crowns" or a stray seed from your yard or in your planting medium.

o

As a matter of fact is does have white flowers up at the top. I cant believe that all three crowns died and these sprouted instead...my luck. Thank you for your help! Any idea on where I can buy great strawberry plants online?

o

Sorry, but I can't help about online strawberries. Have you tried strawberries in pots at a local nursery (or even a big-box store)? That would be more expensive than bare-root crowns ... but strawberries do spread quickly.

o

Awesome, I was able to find some on Amazon. Thank you so much. Hopefully this is the last time I plant weeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here