Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Groundcover ID

Posted by Sweatfairy (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 23:01

Hi,

Can someone tell me what this groundcover may be? I have 3 massive retaining walls where I'd like to plant groundcover so I can get rid of the mulch. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Groundcover ID

Is the flower from that plant? If not, it might be pachysandra.

o

Actually I'm not sure about the flower. I don't remember there being too many flowers, I'll have to go back and take a look. However, I have pachysandra and it looks nothing like this, are there different kinds?

o

I don't know what that is, but it's definitely not pachysandra.

o

Here is different picture if that helps...

o

Looks like some speed well, Veronica. The flower would fit as well. Hope someone can ID the species

o

Good call on the flowers, linaria. They are plainly Speedwell of some sort.

I believe mine are Persian speedwell (Veronica persica), Thymeleaf speedwell (Veronica serpyllifolia), and a third which I never identified. The leaf shape in the photos is totally wrong for Thymeleaf speedwell.

The leaves are the wrong color for any of the Speedwells I have here: I've never seen yellow or red shades, only green. (But then, I eradicated them years ago from the sunny bed where I first saw Persian speedwell growing, and now rarely see them except in shady areas. I suppose that might make a difference in color.)

o

Thanks so much for trying to help, any chance it's Veronica Filiformis? Some pictures look like it is and some don't :(

o

I dug through my pics again,
I had something like your plant in an perennial planting around here, zone 7. Pic is from November, so the red is stronger than in summer.

I am pretty sure that folks here IDed it for me as Veronica petraea,

which seems to be an almost evergreen perennial, so in hard winters it dies off (and regrows sometimes)

o

It isn't V filiformis. That's a common weed and not a sub shrub.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here