Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
smells like menthol

Posted by Comella none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 23:22

What is this plant? It smells like menthol but it doesn't look like Vicks plant. It is growing in my yard in the East Bay Hills of Hayward, CA. It feels a bit sticky to the touch. I thought that perhaps it is Rosemary Gorizia. Does anyone know if Gorizia smells like menthol?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: smells like menthol

Here is another shot of it.

o

Maybe Isomeris arborea, common name Bladderpod?

Here is a link that might be useful: Isomeris arborea

o

Duplicate post

Here is a link that might be useful: Is this

o

Thanks for your reply tulsarose. Sorry that I posted this twice. I thought I did something wrong because I couldn't see the first post.

I looked up Isomeris arborea and it seems to be more of a Southern California plant. Also, it says it is foul-smelling. The plant in my yard...well...it smells like a blend between menthol and pine and rosemary. I kind of like the smell. Also, I think its leaves are more delicate. I am posting another photograph with a ruler in it. Here you can also see the fuzzy white hairs it has. It is also slightly sticky to touch but otherwise soft.

It does smell strongly of menthol so I am surprised that I cannot find a plant that looks like this online that smells like menthol.

o

Ericameria sp?

o

I don't think it is Ericameria because it seems more lush than that. I may have to wait to see if it blooms. So far I don't see any indication that it will bloom.

I beleive it is some sort of mint or sage.

o

How about Hyssop officinalis?

Elaine

o

Sorry, Hyssopus officinalis

o

Thanks vall3fam for your suggestion. It could be this plant. I might have to wait to see if it blooms and what the blooms look like.

o

I finally figured out what this plant is. Stinkwort (Dittrichia graveolens). It has recently become a huge problem in California.

http://ucanr.edu/repositoryfiles/ca6702p110-102540.pdf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here