Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large shrub with tart edible red berries, ribbed pit

Posted by raehelen USDA 7-8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 23:35

I'm trying to identify this tree/fruit. I have two large shrub/small trees on my property. They are loaded with small white fragrant flowers in spring (bees love 'em), and red soft berries/fruit with a long ribbed pit inside. Edible fruit is slightly tart, bet it would make excellent jam or jelly. Original owner made wine out of it. Back of leaf has a beautiful silvery sheen.

I have always called it a sweet olive, but after researching I think I am mistaken. Anyone know what this is? Do you need any more info to help pin it down?

Berry tree in side yard photo redolive0716_zps83cea62c.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large shrub with tart edible red berries, ribbed pit

Best fit I thought is Elaeagnus oldhamii (which incidentally has a nickname "taiwan sweet olive") - there may be better pics for you to google to compare with but there are a lot of matches from your description - see the link below and also this one(you may need to cut and paste)

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/park-ridge/plants-pots/jac-rare-fruit-taiwan-sweet-olive-plant-edible-fragrant/1051769109

Here is a link that might be useful: picture

o

Agree that it is an Elaeagnus, but not sure of the species. E. multiflora or -- does the shrub have thorns? -- possibly E. pungens.

None of these are native and can be very invasive... the related autumn olive & Russian olive are both very problematic in the Midwest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elaeagnus

o

Autumn olive is also problematic in this part of the Southeast.

o

Thanks Ladies, (if missingtheobvious is also female).

I now am pretty sure it must be some kind of Elaeagnus, but still am not clear which one. It is none of the ones suggested so far. E. oldhami blooms in winter and fruits in spring, so that's out. It doesn't have yellow flowers or thorns, so E. pungens is out. Closest is E. multiflora, but leaves and fruit of mine are longer than the descriptions I found. I can't imagine mine being considered invasive, as in 18 years have never found one single seedling or sucker, and believe me thousands if not millions of seed have dropped on the ground in that time. I also have never seen another tree like this anywhere, none in my town, (which you would think I would if it was so invasive?)

I am thrilled to read that it is 7 to 17 times higher in lycopene than tomatoes, and that there is current research on its high anti-oxidant properties and possibly cancer preventing properties.

I try to be a responsible gardener and not grow invasive species. Have to say I do recommend this if you can find it in your neck of the woods. Unbelievable fragrance in spring, and I'm gonna try and make some jelly this year. Have never seen any pest or problem, have never watered it, and only job required is cutting back branches that extend over the walkway. Makes an excellent screen from my obnoxious neighbours (yeah...bonus...LOL)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here