Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Mushrooms edible?

Posted by LoveLilacs10 none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 3:46

Hi can someone please tell me if these are edible? Thanks!


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Mushrooms edible?

I can't id your fungi but I would seriously urge you not to contemplate eating any fungi identified by someone on the internet or from a picture. The only safe way is to go out with someone who really knows what they are doing and can identify the mushroom in the flesh.


 o
RE: Mushrooms edible?

I absolutely agree with floral. The identification of mushrooms can be difficult enough in person, let alone from one photograph. Mistakes can be costly.


 o
RE: Mushrooms edible?

The only safe bet on wild mushrooms is morels. Nothing poisonous looks like morels.

They favor growing near fallen oaks. Saute with butter and wild ramps or onions... mmmmmmmmmm


 o
RE: Mushrooms edible?

If you have to ask, don't eat it.
Apprentice yourself to a mushroom gathering group, and gain experience.


 o
RE: Mushrooms edible?

Absolutely NOT! Not without a lot more information from you and an examination - by an experienced person - of the mushrooms and their gills and spores.

The only good novice mushroom hunter does his/her hunting in the supermarket produce aisle.

And the wannabe mushroom hunter joins a local mushroom hunting group, learns the local edible and toxic species, and collects cautiously. Many Asian immigrants have died on the USA's west coast because their prized edible mushroom is a look-alike for the deadly Amanita of the coastal woodlands.

Most poisonous mushrooms kill your liver ... lack of liver killes you, slowly and horribly.

We have a few absolutely YUMMY local species ... and one nasty one that looks a lot like that picture you posted. Not lethal, bland tasting, but 'emetic' ... as in you barf for several hours.


 o
RE: Mushrooms edible?

rugbyhukr, there are actually several toxic mushrooms (called false morels, for good reason) that resemble morels. Verpa morels and beefsteak morels are just two of them. Verpas can look IDENTICAL to the untrained mushroom collector! See link for proof.

LoveLilacs10, those who have posted cautioning you not to take the world wide web's advice regarding the safety of mushrooms, are absolutely correct!

Here is a link that might be useful: False Morel


 o
RE: Mushrooms edible?

There isn't enough in that picture to say they are edible or not.
If i had to guess I would say no.
If for some reason you decide to eat wild mushrooms always save one or two of them in the refrigerator in case you get poisoned. That way the hospital can identify what kind of poisoning you have and how to treat it. Otherwise it can be mostly guessing and treating symptomatically.
And even though some wild mushrooms are safe to eat everyone can have their own allergic reactions to that safe mushroom. So always start with a very small portion. That includes morels as well.
If you cant find a mushroom club around you try talking to farmers. A lot of farmers were brought up gathering edibles from their land to supplement the dinner table.


 o
RE: Mushrooms edible?

I grew up with country folk eating "true" and "false" morels to no ill effect. As stated in the article you linked, "reports of poisoning in susceptible individuals".

And instead of dying you get:

"These mushrooms can cause some people to have cramps or other forms of gastrointestinal distress."


 o
RE: Mushrooms edible?

Doesn't matter, to be honest. You should never eat a plant or mushroom, if you don't know the identity. Even if all you get are cramps and gastrointestinal distress. For some individuals (like myself), gastrointestinal distress can actually exacerbate existing conditions that ARE fatal. Who wants to test susceptibility? I'd rather not risk my life.
Also, there are false morels that have FATAL levels of the MMH toxin.
It is just not wise.

Here is a link that might be useful: MMH


 o
RE: Mushrooms edible?

  • Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 19:01

Agree...never eat fungi that you don't know 150% is edible.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here