Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's this plant?

Posted by AFishCalledAmy none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 4:28

This is the second of the plants in my garden I'm not sure about. If you could let me know what it is and how to care for it that would be great. It is very overgrown so how and when is the best time to cut it back?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's this plant?

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 7:15

Looks like something in the mallow/hibiscus clan....profile shot (of whole plant) and close up of leaves, pls ?

o

what happened to wanda???

looks like rose of Sharon ... the family noted in the prior ....

it would be better.. for pix.. to position the sun behind you ... such shining thru the flower makes it difficult ...

also ... let us know where you are ... sometimes it matters ...

ken

o

I am no expert (far from it) but there was a HUGE one in our yard when we moved in and I cut it to the ground in early spring and it came back early summer and still bloomed.

o

Thanks for your help so far... The sun has gone in now so hopefully this is a better pic of the flower. I'm in the UK near London.

o

Here are the leaves

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 13:12

Yes, much better and more distinguishable.
I'm afraid I don't have a 100% id, but I think it may be a lavatera. If that's true, it dies down in the fall/winter, which would be the best time to deal with it. I bet with these better pics someone else will come along with a sure id.

o

It's Lavatera olbia - a common plant in UK gardens aka Tree Mallow. They are semi evergreen in mild gardens and probably totally evergreen, if a bit ratty, in London.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here