Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Hemlock? S.E. Michigan, USA

Posted by MarcPerr 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 6:06

This is by the creek. Its leaves do not look like poison hemlock to me, and certainly not Sambucus. Is it water hemlock?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Hemlock? S.E. Michigan, USA

Photo 2

o

Photo 3

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 6:34

I couldn't be sure which one of the possibilities of species, but it sure looks like one of the water hemlocks.

o

That is the spotted water hemlock, Cicuta maculata.

o

Researching Cicuta maculata on the web has led to a lot of confusion. One site suggests that it is a synonym for Cicuta douglasii, but that seems to be incorrect information.
http://science.halleyhosting.com/nature/gorge/5petal/pars/cicuta/waterhem.htm

How to tell the difference between the two? I've also found hemlock with parsley-like leaves referred to as spotted water hemlock. And that leads to another question: Why is it called "spotted"?

o

With few exceptions, most of what has been identified as C. douglasii is not genetically distinct from C. maculata. If you are interested in the work done on this

http://www.life.illinois.edu/downie/Cicuta.pdf

It is called spotted water hemlock (maculata means spotted) because the stems sometimes have purple spots. The introduced poison hemlock (Conium maculatum) also has purple spotted stems and more finely divided leaves. There is a plant called hemlock parsley (Conioselinum chinense) that grows in fens that is superficially similiar. The bulblet-bearing water hemlock (Cicuta bulbifera) is a much more delicate plant compared to the rest of these.

o

lycopus, that is great information and very much appreciated. Thank you!

o

I guess someone should mention that any part of water hemlock can kill you dead. It's especially toxic to grazing livestock and may be the most poisonous plant in the U.S. It ranges south into Florida but not as far south as where I live in Homestead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here