Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Long trailing grass

Posted by ians_gardener z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 7:39

This grass is approx. 3 feet long, trailing down a slope....
I'm zone 5 in Ontario, Canada

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Long trailing grass

Looks like Bermuda grass.

Elaine

o

Bermuda in Canada?? I don't know the plant personally but isn't it a warm climate grass?

o

I can't say whether it's Bermuda or not. The blades taper more than I'm used to.

USDA says "a few hardy strains of Bermudagrass persist in areas with sub-zero winter temperatures (USDA plant hardiness zones 5 and 6)."
http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/ Internet/ FSE_PLANTMATERIALS/ publications/ wvpmcpg7038.pdf

The Bermuda in my lawn -- whatever variety it is -- unfortunately survived our -2* F winter (6b instead of our supposed-to-be-7a) with no visible die-back. 8-(

o

It isn't Bermuda, and also not Eremochloa (Centipede Grass). Both are more southern species. See if Zoysia japonica is a match. The BONAP maps do list that for Canada.

o

The central stem of this grass is very coarse.....I can post more pics other than this one if necessary....
I appreciate the time you folks are trying to id this grass...bugs me not knowing what it is....

o

A picture of the seed head would help a lot. Bermuda grass has star shaped seed heads.

o

I agree with bermuda grass... I hate this grass.

o

" Bermuda grass has star shaped seed heads."

I will take a look and report back....

Thanks for the info....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here