Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost annual tag

Posted by jeserfen 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 9:03

Hello,
My wife bought these two annuals for our porch back in spring and tossed the tags. Therefore we don't know what they are, lol.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost annual tag

Here's the other one. The reason I ask is we would like to bring them in for however long they might live indoors when the weather gets cold. If they are short lived I won't worry about it though.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 9:06

Kinda hard to tell, a floral closeup would be helpful.

It may be a dianthus, maybe a lisianthus. It looks nicely grown though.

o

Does this help?

o

Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 9:32

Umm, I meant the first plant...I know the second is a viola. 2nd photo wasn't posted when I posted first.

o

Here ya go, thanks for the help.

o

Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 9:58

A dianthus...not sure of the type, but again, it looks like it's well grown and will give a lot more blooms.
My personal suggestion would be A) throw the viola out (it's done it's due..doesn't like heat and wouldn't like house life)
B) I kinda think the dianthus would overwinter just fine in the ground (and probably much less fine indoors).

Unless you have excellent conditions, indoor growing is more where plants go to die. it's torture...and that's a high light requiring plant.

o

OK thank you. I will go ahead and find it a place in the ground. Late september? Summer is finally taking off here and we are in the high 90s to low 100s after months of 80s. Been an odd summer.

o

Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 10:13

We're due to hit the hottest temps of the year this week..but then (it looks like) to cool off to lower 80s again.

Yes, odd weather....indeed...but a relatively good summer. Cool season stuff has done well, and hot weather stuff has grown slowly till last 2 weeks.

o

If the Pansy/Viola can make it through the heat, it should really thrive when it gets cooler.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here