Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seedmoney

Please id tree

seedmoney
10 years ago

Greetings,
Can you help identify this tree? These photos were sent to me by a friend. Tree is located on her property in Zone 8 which abuts a creek. Property is in Virginia, near the Chesapeake Bay in a swampy area. Her home is located in an older, established neighborhood. Leaves are leathery, shiny and serrated. The trunk is distinctive, reminds me of cherry bark. Leaves remind me of Camillas, or Stewartia. Ideas?
https://sphotos-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1176252_10201156670192479_579029838_n.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (7)

• florauk
    10 years ago

I can't open the first address but the bark looks like a Prunus ie a cherry.

• seedmoney
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Flora,
    I agree the bark looks like cherry, but I've never come across a tree with cherry-like bark AND leathery, shiny leaves that almost look evergreen. If you look in the far right-hand corner of the picture you can see a leaf. Please ignore the pine branch--it belongs to a tree that grows alongside the mystery one. I'm going to re- post a picture of the leaf, but please be aware that the photo was taken against her fence, and not the bark of the tree. Appreciate your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:310217}}

• TheBlackTulip
    10 years ago

I believe this is actually Cherry Birch or (Betula Lenta) I cannot be sure unless I see fruit.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

Birch should have a wintergreen scent when you break a twig .

Quote from the link below:
    ID Features

bruised twigs have wintergreen odor; but taste sweet (B. alleghaniensis tastes bitter)

Here is a link that might be useful: U,Conn Betula lenta

• seedmoney
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone for your insights.
    My friend is not a "plant" person and her photos are not detailed enough to make an id. I may have to visit the plant myself! I am unfamiliar with Betula lenta; the USDA distribution map indicates it is not generally found in the coastal Virginia Beach/ Chesapeake area. While the bark is certainly feasible, I'm having trouble accepting her photo of the leaf as B. lenta. To my eye, the leaf is more leathery and the veination seems off. This may just be the lousy photos, though. I can't ascertain any "fruit" in the photos either--wouldn't that be formed by now?

This post was edited by seedmoney on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 14:23

• florauk
    10 years ago

I am not familiar with N American Prunus but plenty of Prunus have leathery leaves, some evergreen e.g P lusitanica, and P serotina has serrated, leathery leaves. Not saying that this is what this is but that I still think Prunus is a candidate.

I know of no Betulas with leathery leaves and the pix of B lenta look very different imo.

Here is a link that might be useful: P serotina

• lycopus
    10 years ago

The glands on the petiole of the leaf is certainly suggestive of Prunus. On many birches a feature to look for are leaves in pairs on the twigs of the previous year.