Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant/tree thing....dying!

Posted by djliquidice none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 9:31

Searched everyone online based on description, can't figure out what this is, but I need to know so I can figure out how to save it, if possible. Seems like part of a Yucca family if you ask me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant/tree thing....dying!

sorry, not the best pics, but hopefully someone can identify.

o

I'm pretty sure it's a dracena.

o

It looks like Dracaena marginata.

o

thats it! You guys rock! Time to play hero and try and save it.

o

It's a bit difficult to see any detail in the picture but what is it about the plant that makes you think it's in trouble?

o

thanks to you guys I was now able to research the plant. Turns out, I think it's drowning in water.

When I got it, it was sitting in a larger pot that had a couple inches of water in the bottom. So right from the start, I think it was exposed to too much water. I've repotted it, but I think I too have been giving it too much water/fertilizer/sun. Leaves are bleached and falling off. Overall, just droppy.

I think what I will do is yank it out, let the roots dry up a bit, and go get some cactus/citrus/palm soil. Think that's the best thing to do? Trim some of the roots maybe?

Oh, and the trunk is very firm, so from what I've read, I'm in good shape to keep trying with it, not dead yet.

o

In the house plant forum, there are many many existing discussions about this plant, and feel free to start a new one.

The info here is helpful basic info for keeping potted plants looking their best.

Too much sun too fast can cause sunburn, but these plants enjoy an hour or so of early morning or late afternoon sun, once acclimated. It's normal for the oldest leaves to be discarded as the trunk turns woody. The newest leaves on top should be sticking straight up, when the light is within acceptable range.

Sensitive to fluoride in tap water. Does a lot better with rain water, distilled, or condensate from A/C or dehumidifier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here