Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ajuga variety or not?

Posted by Queen-Gardener 5 OH (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 9:32

The purple plant, I wondered if it was an Ajuga of some type, but I have an Ajuga patch so I know what it is. The leaves are purple and green and hairy, and this plant spreads by seeds. It seems to flower the whole growing season. It doesn't seem to care if it is in full sun or part sun. I like it, even though it seeds into the lawn and all over the garden. I just need to know what it's called, and whether or not I should fear it conquering the entire yard, although it seems pretty easy to pull out of flower bed dirt, because it is looser, but in the yard I had to take a trowel to it and hack up the yard a bit. Thanks for you help!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ajuga variety or not?

Here is another pic, as the second one didn't get posted. The seedlings start out green, then purple up. This second pic is a mature plant.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 9:39

Salvia lyrata, it does look a lot like ajuga...I can see your confusion.

o

wowies, THANKS SO MUCH!!! You're awesome, and quick too!! Neat that it's native, as I'm trying to have as many natives as possible!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here