Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please identify this plant and the tiny red bugs attached to stem

Posted by shawne_grow Ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 25, 08 at 9:33

Does anyone know what this plant is called? It's about 4 feet tall. There are hundreds of tiny red bugs attaching themselves to it also and I would like to know if they should be taken care of.

Image link: Please identify this plant and the tiny red bugs attached to stem (19 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please identify this plant and the tiny red bugs attached to

The flowers may be Helianthus. There are lots of yellow flowered members of the Asteraceae family.

There are red mites.
If that is what you have, try a blast with the hose to knock them off. Mites usually do quite well in dry , hot weather.

Here is a link that might be useful: red mites

o

How about giving us a picture of the critters? I rather doubt that they are mites, since those guys are practically microscopic. But there are plenty of other possibilities.

o

Yep. Some aphids are bright red, too.

o

Do they look like this?

Photobucket

If so, then they're red aphids. They are frequent pests on my Heliopsis. I hit them with the hose. I've tried insecticidal soap and isopropol alcohol on them and they barely put a dent in them. The hose gets rid of all of them :-)

BP

o

Uroleucon rudbeckiae, a red aphid, on a Helianthus.

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here