Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 10:06

And almost undoubtedly yes.

o
RE: large shrub

Viburnum lantana, perhaps.

tj

o

The question we usually get is "will it set fruit or not" so this is an unusual question "will the fruit be viable?" You could open up a berry and examine the seed inside. If the seed is thin and small then it is probably not. If the seed is plump and fairly large compared to the flesh (viburnums only have one seed per fruit/drupe) then I'd say it probably is viable.

Some of the answer lies in are the germination factors good enough for the seeds to germinate in your location. And are you trying to grow something in an area that is outside of its growing conditions (e.g., taking something is at home in the mountains and trying to grow it in a hot coastal area) ... that is a factor as well.

o

the answer is.. to take the latin name to google and research propagation from seed ...

i lived next to a property with huge old Vs ... no clue which .. here in z5 MI ...

in my 10 years there.. i dont recall many .... if any seedlings ...

but that might be a MI winter thing ...

Dirrs manual on propagation of woody plants probably has the answer ... it would also address whether rooting would be easier ... and get you that specific plant.. rather than relying on open pollinated seeds ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Dirr also has a book only on Viburnums.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here