Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Euphorbia

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 9:44

Found in front yard, will take more pics if needed. Unlike other similar looking spurges, this one is fairly upright, about 7-8" high.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Euphorbia

(Ignore the little Phyllanthus photo-bombing.)

o
RE: Which Euphorbia?

Last pic. Blooms. Thanks for looking!

o

Hmm, it really looks like E. maculata, prostrate spurge. Could it be growing upwards because it's riding on other plants or reaching for the sun? I've found it poking up almost upright out of my closely-planted herb garden.

o

TY for your help. Part of it is hanging over the concrete sidewalk, but there is no other outside factor contributing to its' uprightness. Not obvious from these pics, sorry.

Thought that was the one with the red spot on each leaf? There are some of those around also in identical conditions, and less light, (assuming I'm attaching the right name to THOSE,) which are all flat as a pancake, right on the ground with much more definitely marked/variegated leaves. This one looks different in that it is growing primarily upright, and the placement of the flowers, very little marking on a few of the leaves.

o

Well, a look at my 'Weeds of the Northeast' took me to nodding spurge, Euphorbia nutans. Here's a link. From your descrption and the photos, it looks that's what you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Euphorbia nutans

o

TY for the help! Those reddish seed balls would be something to look for soon to confirm.

o

I also think the size of the leaves clinches it. They look much larger than E. maculata in a comparison between your photos and my own extensive weed collection :-)

TY, I learned a new plant today.

o

Check out Chamaesyce nutans (Eyebane).

o

TY for the additional replies!

Jekeesl, that name seems to be one of many synonyms this plant is packing around, though no time left today to search through multiple databases to confirm the veracity of this Wiki info.

o

Chamaesyce is a synonym but has been deemed invalid since it is nested within Euphorbia.

o

Cool. I'll update my records.

o

TY, Lycopus! Sounds unanimous from a good number of serious plant-sters. Will put this name in my notes.

Thanks again for all of the replies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here