Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Odd Petunia

Posted by jekeesl Central AR 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 9:44

This Ruellia was unusual. There were several plants in a ditch that were 6 to 10 inches tall, with flowers or fruit from all leaf nodes except the lowermost. The stems, leaves, calyces, and flowers (outside surfaces) were covered with short hairs. The calyx lobes were broadest toward the bottom, and linear. Leaves were on petioles about 0.2 to 0.5 inch long. Flowers were on peduncles roughly 0.2 to 0.3 inch long.

They don't seem to match any of our local species. The calyces were too narrow for R. strepens. Since the flowers weren't sessile, they weren't R. humilis or caroliniensis. They were similar to R. pedunculata, but the ones I've seen had much longer peduncles (Arkansas key says expected peduncle range for R. pedunculata is 1.0 to 1.4 inch long).

Are these non-typical R. pedunculata, or something else? I did see R. purshiana in Weakley's key, and it is a possible match. However, I couldn't find enough detail on that one to confirm it.

Thanks, as always.

photo OddRuellia2.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Odd Petunia

Why do you say the flowers are not sessile?

o

Maybe I don't understand what I'm seeing, but there is definitely a stem between the bottom of the flower and the primary stem. I thought that the bottom of the calyx would sit in the leaf axil if sessile??

o

Now I could be wrong too, but to me, I would not consider that to be a petiole. I had a Carolina one growing out front, so here is a snap of it's arrangement.

o

Your photo looks right for Carolina Petunia. Now compare with my flower and that non-sessile pedicel or peduncle underneath. They seem different to me.

o

I don't know Ruellia very well since we don't get them here, but I wonder if it matters if you interpret the base of the pedicel as being subtended by leaves or bracts. From the base of the leaves/bracts the pedicel can't be more than a few mm long.

o

Lycopus, I checked with the Missouriplants.com site, since they always have good descriptions and photos. The typical R. pedunculata specimen has single axillary flowers on bracteate peduncles, and a pair of foliaceous bracts subtend the calyx. So those small "leaves" under the calyx in my photo are the bracts. The distance on my plant from the bracts to the leaf axil is about 0.25 inch long - not sessile, but too short for R. pedunculata.

In any case, the main reason for this post was to see if anybody was familiar with R. purshiana, and if that could be a match.

Thanks for the comments.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ruellia pedunculata

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here