Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some new volunteers

Posted by Desirai 7B (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 10:06

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some new volunteers

1 & 2 = Physostegia virginiana - Obedient plant but not a very obedient plant at all. It will spread like mad.

o

I actually don't find obedient plant so spready. I guess it depends on the conditions - mine's in fairly dry soil and not quite full sun, and it expands a bit every year, but nothing I can't control. And bees love it.

o

The second one looks like some form of Cassia/Senna

o

If it helps, the plant in the second set of pictures closes its leaves up at night. I just went outside and noticed it had all of its leaves folded up against its stem!

o

Many tropical plants, such as cassia fasciculata and mimosa pudica, as well as some legumes, experience nyctinasty. The signaling of lower light causes the plants to "sleep".

Mimosa Pudica (aka Sensitive Plant) and many insectivorous plants also experience seismonasty, which is a movement of plant organs in response to external stimuli, such as brushing up against it, wind, or a bug triggering the closure of a dionaea muscipula's (venus fly trap) leaves.

Tomatoes, legumes, and other plants experience chemonasty, which is a buildup of gases (ethlyene, acetlyene, CO, among a few), and that causes movement of plant organs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here