Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
name this plant?

Posted by eskimute europe (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 10:37

Hello!

My grandmother has a plant, loves it but doesnt know its name. It is from a bulb. Dies every autumn and grows again in spring time. A stem is a little variegated and has three branches. Interesting thing: Before rain, plant leafs cover with small water drops. She keeps it in a pot, not outside.

Please help me with that. Thank you and sorry for my bad english, I am from Luxembourg , Europe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: name this plant?

Amorphophallus bulbifer?

o

• Posted by rina_ 5a Ont (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 10:49

It looks like amorphophallus, but not clear enough photo to say. I am not expert, but have few. Can you post photo from above?
Here is one of mine, photo from the top. The leaves could have different arrangement.
The stem has splotches...I remember we used to call it "adder plant" (also in Europe, but not Lux).

Rina

o

Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 10:53

Close up of stem & new leaf.

rugby ID-ed it, we were typing at the same time. Rina

o

yes! I guess it is the same!
Thank you!

o

Is that the same that has huge stinky flower?

o

Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 12:47

Yes - from what I know - but plant has to be quite mature to flower. The plant itself is just slightly 'stinky'.
You may find much more info on this site if you go to aroid forum. You should search the forum by name your plant has been ID-ed.

Btw, I keep mine outside until temps drop to closer to 0* (cel).
How old is your grandmom's plant?

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 12:52

o

That's Amorphophallus konjac. It's now used in a weight-loss product called Lipozene.

o

It is about 2-3 years old. When we can expect flowering?
She always keep it inside, but not in a room, but in the corridor, so temperature is a bit lower here than inside.
The plant now has two babies, so I took it to my home.

o

The plant goes dormant in winter and, if it's going to flower, the flower emerges in spring before leaves are present. Many species have ill-smelling flowers. Some growers dig up the tubers and store them in a dry place and then replant them in fresh soil as soon as growth (either bloom or leaf) appears in the center of the bulb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here