Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
integraoligist

Garden went crazy, what are each of these plants?

Integraoligist
10 years ago

Hello all,
Glad I found this site, although I should have searched for it a year ago...

Anyway, last year I planted my first garden, read online on how to cross seed and what helps what grow better. Fertilized and did everything it said... didnt grow a single thing. Over the winter I spoke with a avid gardener, and he said because I've never growen anything in that area before, that it would take 2-3 years to get all the nutrients and what not that it will need. So I said OK. So this year I was GOING to re-till and plant again, but right before I was going to, I seen all kinds of things growing, so I decided I'll wait and see what happens.

Well now it's gone crazy! I dont thing any of the Veggies have grown but plants are running wild!

So can you all help me figure out what each of these plants are? I tried to match the leaves to images online but I can't figure them out!

Here is a list of everything I planted a year ago...
Planted in the same mound:
Corn / Green Bean
Cucumber / Pumpkin
Sweet Onion / Cantaloupe
Sweet Basil / Beefsteak Tomatoes
Romaine Lettuce / Broccoli

Here are the 5 I can't figure out.

Comments (20)

• Integraoligist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plant 2

• Integraoligist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plant 3

• Integraoligist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plant 4

• Integraoligist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plant 5.
    Thanks all!

• Integraoligist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plant 5.
    Thanks all!

{{!gwi}}

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

#1, not sure, maybe Polygonaceae?
    #2 Ambrosia trifida, giant ragweed. My sinuses clog thinking of it.
    #3 Viola-- looks like common violet
    #4 *dum, dum dum dum* Cue Ken for this one. That appears to be pokeweed.
    #5. Looks like a tree sapling. Mulberry?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

#1 looks like Tradescantia fluminensis or a Commelina to me. Is it the same stuff underneath the primary plant in pic 2? Knowing where you are might help, at least rule some things out. If your gardening friend is local, it might be obvious to them from your pic or by visiting. A pic of a stem pulled out of the ground might help also.

Starting a new spot by tilling can result in all kinds of interesting seeds ending up on the surface, just what they were waiting for to be able to sprout. Tilling can also increase some weeds if they are of a type that can regenerate from small pieces of stems/roots. One can turn 10 weeds into many more. It's good to find out what these plants are to better predict the outcome of possible re-tilling. If there's nothing of value to be saved for next year, you could smother the whole lot, essentially composting everything there on the spot to try again next year. I might remove any ripe pokeweed berries first, and other visible seeds.

There are discussions about this (generally called lasagna since you start with a solid smother layer, and add whatever organic matter you can, in layers or mixed up, to decompose over winter and help suppress weeds the following year, depending on how deep you pile stuff, the weather, if you need to penetrate the smother layer to plant stuff next year, etc...) in the soil/mulch, new-to-gardening, and garden restoration forums, that I know of, probably in others too, if you'd like to investigate further.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Sorry about the dup. The first one didn't show up, and then Very Strange Things kept happening....

This post was edited by missingtheobvious on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 12:21

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

Did the strange things include a "save as" box popping up for saving the cgi scipt? I got that and had a WTF moment

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

"Did the strange things include a "save as" box popping up for saving the cgi scipt?"

I can verify that happening on my last several posts.
    Maybe a Firefox issue?

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Well, I'm using FireFox, but never had the weird cgi thing happen till this morning (okay, I guess it's not morning).

On my last post, I hit Preview and that box popped up -- and the post went through without the normal last step. No, that's wrong: I did hit the final button, but the usual screen that follows (which says the message was posted, and asks if you want to look at the post or return to the forum) didn't come up: instead, the weird cgi box popped up.

This post was edited by missingtheobvious on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 12:57

10 years ago

I sent an email to GW about it a few hours ago. I'm using FF too but the browser does not automatically update itself, and I haven't updated anything between today and yesterday. Don't think it's browser related, but that's not really my area. I just know it's not updated.

• Integraoligist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, so basically everything is weeds and no veggies... excellent! lol

So pulling evyerthing and pulling a good layer on top to decompost it for the winter would be the best bet for a decent crop next year?
    About when should I pull it all and add the layer? Early October?

Ah yes, and i'm about an hour south of Chicago.

And yes the CGI download happened with me with every post today, i'm using Chrome.

Thanks all!

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Same thing happens when updating a message.

I'm going to call their attention to this thread too.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

I've had the CGI pop up each time I posted today.

10 years ago

Sounds like a good idea, MTO.

"So pulling everything and pulling a good layer on top to decompost it for the winter would be the best bet for a decent crop next year?"

The pokeweed and anything woody, you'll need to dig out the roots, stuff like that can't be smothered without something like metal or concrete. Sorry I didn't have the complete thought earlier. Anything else not covered with obvious seeds, I would weed-wacker or mow it down if necessary, whatever it takes to get the surface flat no hard stems poking up to thwart your efforts (the sign of something that should probably be dug,) but I wouldn't bother carting it away except those roots you labored to remove. Boiling water, if practical at this site, can help if you think you only partially removed a giant root of something that can grow back. Fill the hole with it, that should finish it off.

The smother layer works best if it makes solid contact with the contours of the soil surface, covered by significant layers of stuff to weigh it down, so plants can't come through, as well as block the light and air. Establishing a barrier/border around your bed can help keep grass out, as well as other plants that creep.

"About when should I pull it all and add the layer?"

ASAP, before stuff makes/drops more seeds. You can continue adding organic matter all winter, such as leaves, small yard trimmings, kitchen produce scraps (usually buried a bit, spread around generously,) lawn clippings when you've mowed when the grass (or whatever 'lawn' plants you have) does not have seeds on it, pine needles, anything that will decompose, the thicker and more varied it is, the better your results will be.

10 years ago

Me too, Carol, that's what I told them.

• Integraoligist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pine needles you say? i've got LOADS of those.
    Thanks all for the help, will chop it all down tomorrow and start working on it.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Over the winter I spoke with a avid gardener, and he said because I've never grown anything in that area before, that it would take 2-3 years to get all the nutrients

==>> this guy is an idiot.. dump him as a garden friend ...

you need to get a good book on how to do this.. and start over ....

and yes.. that one is pokeweed.. every single seed will sprout ... if left ...

you need to find a forum to learn the basics on preparing a bed NOW.. for use next spring..

i would kill everything in it.. i would do it with round up .... but i fear for your use ...

i would do a kill now.. again in a month ... remove all trees.. do not till .
    ... and cover it with black plastic ....

and then next spring.. i would plant ... and then mulch heavily ...

and thats all i will tell you in the NAME THAT PLANT FORUM ....

you need to learn how to prep a new bed ...

ken

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz