Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Volunteer-ideas?

Posted by cyn427 z7aN. VA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 11:19

Hi. We had a tree removed in the spring and the stump was ground. I finally got around to moving some of the chips (it was a healthy tree, just leaning precariously toward the neighbor's house). That was five days ago. Now suddenly, this appears. There are several coming up which leads me to believe it is probably not something I want-I could never be so lucky as to have something wonderful appear.

Does anyone have any idea what this is? If it is a weed or an
Invasive, I want to get rid of it now while it is young.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Volunteer-ideas?

walnut or hickory perhaps?

o

what kind of tree.. did you think you killed???

could be root suckers... or dig around.. you might find the nut shell ....

but.. i really have a hard time.. with a tree growing that much in 5 days .... hmmmmmm

ken

o

Looks like a hickory tree which is wonderful for wildlife in many ways.

o

Well, I would be thrilled if it were a Hickory. That is what was removed!

Yes, Ken, I was surprised to see something that is already about 10-12 inches high there and why I figured it must be something bad-ha. If they are suckers, that will be fine as long as it will grow into a healthy tree. will they do that? I will transplant the smaller ones if that is the case.

You are all wonderful! Thanks.
Cynthia

o

That is the tree trying to re-grow from the roots of the tree you cut down. You can't transplant it. I doubt it has its own roots yet. Can you let it grow in place?

o

If that will work, absolutely! We hated losing it, but if it had fallen, it would have landed on our neighbor's house and that would not have been a good thing, especially since it was leaning so much-no doubt we would have found ourselves in a lawsuit. Sigh. Happily, they have moved now and will put the house up for sale in two weeks.

I will just leave everything for the time being and see what happens. My DH will be thrilled-now I won't be insisting that we buy a replacement this fall. ;) Happy happy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here