Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dewberry in Minnesota or something else?

Posted by HugoGarden none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 11:23

Greetings,

I live in Minnesota, in zone 4, northeast of the Twin Cities. I found these berries in the woods, and my online research leads me to believe that they are dewberries. Are they in fact dewberries, and are they edible?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dewberry in Minnesota or something else?

It's a rubus. Appears to be a raspberry variety.

o

All Rubus are edible, although some are sour. If the fruit is ripe it is likely Rubus ideaus. If it matures to black it could be one of the many species of blackberry or dewberry.

o

Dewberry would have long, spindly canes prostrate on the ground, rising only to climb over obstructions.

o

Greetings,

Thank you for all of the replies. I found some more of these that had turned black, and I also sent a picture the the University of Minnesota extension for evaluation. These are wild blackberries, and I can now confirm that they are edible and sweet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here