Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
4 foot tall plant in Eastern MA

Posted by nekobus 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 11:49

A bunch of these seem to have exploded out of nowhere in sunny spots in my beds. None of them has flowered yet. I'd like to verify they're not something I seeded before I rip them out. Any ideas?
DSC_6667 mystery plant

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 4 foot tall plant in Eastern MA

Bidens

o

Here's a page with multiple photos of three varieties of Bidens:
http://www.jeffpippen.com/plants/bidens.htm

o

Having just posted photos of the same plant last week, I concur with the experts here. Bidens. Do not hesitate to rip it out. If it blooms and goes to seed, you, your family, your pets, your guests, your neighbors and any local wildlife will be wearing the devilish little seeds for months!

o

Ah but it is the host plant for several butterflies such as the dainty sulphur butterfly. Also a good nectar plant for butterflies.

Let it live and then just cut off the flowers before they go to seed.

o

Thanks for the ID and advice, everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here