Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Flower, stumped me for 2 years.

Posted by WildflowerCollector DE (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 11:55

I've had this white wildflower in my collection for 2 years, and I haven't been able to identify it. Maybe you guys can. It's a tall, flowering plant that was about 2 feet high originally. It had opposite, heart-shaped, toothed leaves. There was a cluster of white, four-petaled flowers at the top of the plant and only at the top. I found it growing on the side of a trail in a heavily-forested park.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Flower, stumped me for 2 years.

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 11:58

Sorry...can't id faded dried out pressed flowers. Do you have a photograph of the living plant?

o

Possibly Honesty, Lunaria annua.

o

Well it's Brassicaceae. Was it originally white or mauve? I'm thinking Hesperis matronalis, Dames Rocket. Can be white but usually mauve.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hesperis matronalis

o

I second Hesperis matronalis.

o

I second Lunaria annua. Not really a wild flower, up in NJ anyway, but it seeds around pretty freely. Hesperis doesn't have such large teeth.

WW

o

Not Hesperis- the leaves are opposite, not Ialternate, and have large teeth. The flowers were that bright white. You know, I have been thinking it was Honesty for a while, but it just seemed weird finding this in a public forest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here