Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name this pretty purple flower please?

Posted by thegardenat902 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 12:33

My grandma bought this for me at Lowes for my garden.I love it but it didn't have a tag. Can anyone tell me what this is?

Thank you! :o)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name this pretty purple flower please?

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 12:35

Verbena (probably of canadensis line) and quite likely 'Homestead Purple'

o

Ah hardy to zone 6-7... shoot.

Very typical of lowes to sell perennials that aren't hardy to our zone here.

Thank you for your help.

o

Many folks are happy to treat them as annuals. Verbenas, caladiums, etc. are quite popular here.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 22:06

I wouldn't say it isn't hardy...wild canadensis is so hardy here that it usually blooms in Dec (and anytime we have a couple weeks above freezing)...it'll be the last thing to stop blooming and the first to start in spring. It naturally occurs from the Canadian border down to the Gulf...

Give it a sunny place, protected from winter winds, and good drainage...and it might surprise you.

And if it fails, accquire a pure verbena canadensis...it's a bit muddier a purple than homestead, but quite hardy and quite similar.

They both need excellent drainage in winter.

o

I don't that it's an annual I was just hoping since my Grandma got it for me that I would be able to enjoy it for many more years.

I will keep my fingers crossed but it gets down to -30 here some days so I don't know that it will survive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here