Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What could this flowering be?

Posted by gmb27 none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 13:17

Hi,

I've 'inherited' this plant from a previous garden owner but have no idea what it is. It has a lot of small closed buds and early in the morning a few open widely to show a blue flower. (you can see a few still open) By lunch they close again. There's hundreds of flower buds but only a few open? Any ideas anybody?

Thanks in advance

GB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What could this flowering be?

Tradescantia.

o

in one garden.. a nice clumping plant.

in another garden.. a highly invasive seeder.. killed it 10 years ago.. and i still have seed sprouting...

it is what it is.. as to its flowering pattern... you seem inclined to think its doing it wrong....

if its already moving around that bed.. be forewarned.. so you can be four armed...

near impossible to pull out....

ken

o

The rest of the buds have already bloomed and are done. This time of year my spiderwort dies slows down and dies back. I hear that if you dead head spent blooms it will prolong blooming, but we never bother.

I don't have Ken's problems with it spreading. In fact, we've killed several plants over the years. They like moist soil, though the ones I added by my bog looked rather unhappy. That might be because I managed to trample them tending to the waterfall a few times though.

o

This tradescantia is different and better behaved than the weedy one that Ken is referring to.

o

Furthermore it's growing in the UK since the member page of the OP states that. One cannot judge how a plant will behave in other areas .

o

Perhaps ken is thinking of Dayflower, Commelina.

o

Thanks for all the feedback folks. The only reason I said the UK was just because its where I am and I assumed that plant species might act differently in the different climates. I appreciate the time you've all taken! After reading through I decided to look closer and the poster above was certainly right, the heads are all spent. I'm going to cut back and hopefully next year will be a full plant of blue flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here