Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alien!? Plant?

Posted by chicken1 Uk (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 13:22

Hi everyone,

My parents just noticed this very odd plant pop up in their garden. Any idea what it could be?
Thanks for your thoughts :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alien!? Plant?

This is another photo. Such a strange looking thing! 5.5 inches across at its widest point. Would love your ideas on what this could be....

This post was edited by chicken1 on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 13:31

o

Its a Fasciated form of something, as to what ?

o

It has some normal stems, then the one extra wide one. Maybe the wide leaf is a mutant or something!?

o

Can you show us the top of the 'normal' plant? The fasciated leaf looks like a monocot and the big stem looks as if it could be a lily which would fit the monocot idea. But the lower leaves don't fit.

o

Definitely a fasciated something or other :-)) The top of the leaf on the first photo is extremely characteristic of that situation. Agree with floral that we need to see as much of the 'normal' plant as possible to make a good ID.

o

I think it's a fasciated stem, because it has leaves growing from it.

o

My third photo is the best I have of the "normal" bit of the plant, will ask dad to take more. Thanks! X

o

The whole plant. There are seed pod bits so it looks like it must've already flowered. More pics to follow. Thanks everyone! :)

o

Another pic

o

OK guys... You've come with an idea that that is a fasciated stem... A stem of what plant is that? :)

o

Ask your Dad to look at pictures of Hesperis matronalis in flower and see if that rings any bells.

o

Thank you so much!

o

Was it Hesperis, then? Or are the thanks just for the suggestion?

o

Does it have some thorns on it? In one of the pictures above enlarged I see what looks like thorns.

o

I've been trying to square it with what is likely to be growing in rough grass (presumably the site of spring bulbs, maybe an old orchard?) in a UK garden. I can't see any thorns and I can't think of anything that would have thorns that fits the appearance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here