Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mysterious viney plant with seeds

Posted by Dovetail 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 14:20

Hi everyone, where I work has a lot of pretty flowers and vines and such growing wildly (near the railroad) anyhow, now that they're seeding I sure don't know what they are!

Here is a strange plant, it grows like a vine, but has fern-y looking leaves with TONS of seeds! I'd love to share the seeds, but I have no clue what it is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mysterious viney plant with seeds

I'm pretty sure that is a BundleFlower ... Or BundleFlower seed pods. (:
Desmanthus.

Here is a link that might be useful: DesmanthusBundleFlower-Description and Photos

This post was edited by Soleil.Blume.Hooke on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 14:33

o

That looks like the same seedpod set up! How cute little white puffs! I wonder if it's terribly invasive...

o

at the link ....this is how you do it .. add 'invasive' to the suggested latin name ... but note on the link above.. that there are a multitude of species ...

you probably need to insure the species...

however.. based on your pic.. and what looks like a not very well tended garden [though i could be wrong] ... perhaps the fact that it popped up out of nowhere.. would indicate to me... that it is invading that bed .... and if next year.. grass starts disappearing.. and 50 more of these show up.. you have your answer ....

in my garden.. i would not wait to find out how many seed sprouted.. as i did not plant it.. it would be pulled as a weed ... before seed dispersal time ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Oh, no, It's growing by the railroad tracks by my work place. They just sort of let it do whatever, I've found wild-potato vines and trumpet vines, and now these suckers.

It looks like it's a native prairie flower according to the conservation department, but it doesn't say how invasive it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here