Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
name this plant

Posted by suth northern california (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 14:33

This plant showed up in our garden among the squash vines. It has clusters of very small berries that turn black when ripe. The berries are bitter inedible. The plant is about 5 feet tall and still growing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: name this plant

Photolacca (pokeweed)

o

Pokeweed...now waiting for Ken's reply about eating stuff before knowing if it's edible, lol.

o

One of many types of nightshade. I wouldn't gnaw on any more berries until you have a definite id!

Elaine

o

This isn't a Solanum, or even in the Solanaceae, so can't really be described as a type of nightshade.

This post was edited by florauk on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 15:00

o

I looked around for various common names for Phytolacca americana. One common name is American Nightshade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pokeweed

o

i am spent on pokeweed.. lol ...

the worst thing about this particularly glorious forum....

is the lack of searchable titles.. since how can you.. when yuo dont know what it is when you post...

see link ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: talk about gettting lazy .. lol ...

o

OK, carol23 - I didn't know that. But I still think that the most widely accepted understanding of 'a type of Nightshade' would be a member of the Solanaceae.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solanaceae

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here