Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato

Posted by Juhli 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 15:02

This tomato grew on the side of my compost bin! The grooves make me wonder if it has crossed with something else? Do you think I should try eating it?

juhli
curious novice gardener

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato

That looks like a pepper to me.

o

there is an extremely active tomato forum.. for IDs of hybrids ...

ken

o

Definitely a tomato -- both plant and fruit. And yes, there are tomato varieties with that shape and/or color.

There are at least two tomato databases which list 14,000 or more varieties. No one knows them all. Sometimes you can guess, but no one can identify an unknown tomato with certainty.
So go ahead and eat it: but you might want to ask on GW's Tomato forum to see if they think it's ripe yet. (I don't grow yellow tomatoes; I would guess the two yellow ones are close to ripe, but you want the opinion of someone who knows more about yellows than I do.)

o

I wondered if it was a tomato/pepper cross! Thanks for your input. I will check out the GWs tomato forum.

I don't think it's ripe yet, seems to be turning red. I couldn't capture the exact color in the photo!

Thanks again,

Cheers from South Surrey, BC!

o

Don't think tomatoes & peppers CAN cross - but there is a stuffer variety of tomato that looks like a pepper: Yellow Stuffer(?)

Also, if a seed from a hybrid tomato sprouts, it can have entirely different characteristics than the parent - sometimes reverting to one or the other of the varieties crossed to make the hybrid - along w/ an entirely new combination of possible traits.

& all tomatoes are edible(even when green) - tho not all are palatable…

HTH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here