Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering 6 foot bush

Posted by margeismom 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 15:03

This came out of a neighbors yard but she didn't know what it is called. This view is of the end of a branch. Will post another view.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering 6 foot bush

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 16:31

Hopefully with flowers...this is post-flowers I think.

o

Link to other picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to other picture

o

Is it truly a bush or perhaps a large "weed?" I mean, does it come back every year or did it spout up new this year?

If large weed, it kind of reminds me of epazote but I don't think it is that. But perhaps something else in the same family?

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia - Amaranthaceae

o

It looks a lot like epazote to me--a weed or a weed used as a Mexican cooking herb.

o

Close up of buds.

o

Thanks Gyr Falcon. You got it!

AKA Mexican Tea, Wormseed and many more. Seems it can cure just about anything. Expels worms, increases breast milk, mildly laxative, promotes menstruation, kills bacteria, stimulates digestion, prevents ulcers, calms nerves, repels insects mildly sedative, heals wounds and kills cancer cells. WOW....maybe I'll go make myself a cup of tea!

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 22:08

Hmm,maybe I need some of your weed :)

o

Keep in mind that eating too much of this plant is not a good thing--it can make you ill. I also see now that fatamorgana also suggested the resemblance in an earlier post.

o

Yes, I read fatamorgana's post. This has tree/shrub like hard wood main stalks and branches unlike a weed. For a Southern weed it's growing real good in the Garden State!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here