Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this

Posted by JPT62 none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 15:28

What is this and how do I get rid of it. Keeps growing against the foundation and fence line. West central Michigan. A real nuisance.
Thanks in advance for your help :')

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this

Elm tree seedling. See if you have a mature tree on your property. If not, cut back seedling, spray cut with Round Up. If you have a mature tree on your property and do not want to kill it, you need to dig around the seedling to where you can follow the root back a short distance and clip it. Then coat that cut with tree wound protector spray and replace the dirt. Elm trees as a general rule do not send up sprouts from their roots, so I am fairly sure that an elm tree seed landed in the spots where you see the ones you have mentioned.

o

Looks like an ulmus parvifolia sapling.

o

God i hate them ... near adrian MI ...

smaller ones.. you should be able to pull up in spring.. when the ground is more friable ...

otherwise snip at ground level and drip on some full strength.. undiluted .... round up... or stump killer ...

if you have hundreds to do.. you could use the very expensive applicator at the link .. to literally apply drops ...

only the cambian layer need be dosed.. and that is the green line just under the bark..

return unused RU to the properly labeled container when done ...

this system works on ANY plant ... one drip ..

its NOT a spray thing ... its a drip thing ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Ken, what are the chances of having TWO clueless neighbours move in on both sides of my house? Both have let elm seedlings grow inside the shrubs that previous owners had planted. Now I'm going to have huge elms a foot from my fence! How could you not know that a tree shouldn't be sprouting from a huge shrub?

It's so nice to see people ask what plants are here and do something about the undesirables..rather than ignore what will become a nuisance in the future be it from laziness or ignorance. /rant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here