Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed, or someone's run away?

Posted by eurstupid 6/7 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 15:41

Two years ago I had this plant spring up on the outside of my back yard. I saved some seeds because I thought it a pretty flower.
I didn't plant any last year and no signs of it anywhere so I assumed it was an annual.
This year, I still didn't plant the seeds and this plant sprouted everywhere across my back fence.
It's obviously a toughie, growing in dense clumps of weeds and some plants looking close to 6' tall.
It looks familiar but what I'm thinking of, which I can't remember the name, is not known for growing tall.
It does seem to grow from a clump with multiple stems.
Thanks
Al

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed, or someone's run away?

Standing back view of the plant. Also, I bike ride often and don't see this in anyone's yards. Curious too on the where it came from aspect. Probably birds but it's spread across a 30' area.

o

You might compare it to some pink honeysuckles.

o

It may be a weedy Epilobium, aka willowherb.

o

carol23, may be onto something. A closer look and those do look like individual plants. Willowherb is a good guess.

o

I don't believe we have this ID'ed yet so I'm adding a few more pics.
The main stalk looks pretty woody with lots of branches coming off the main stem.

o

I think I missed the main bloom cycle of the plant and can't find any open flowers but you can get an idea by the seed pods the way the flowers cluster. It rained heavy this morning and the flowers are very delicate. They have 3 petal and look slightly variegated with a pinkish/white mix.

o

And lastly, a little better picture of the foliage. Thanks all for the suggestions.
Al

o

Gaura sp? (now included in Oenothera)

o

It doesn't look like a Gaura to me (except the woody lower stem).

The Gauras I'm familiar with all have 4 petals which are held upward, while there are many stamens hanging downward. This looks like a totally different shape of flower: we're seeing multiple flowers rather than petals on a single flower.

Gaura flowers aren't spaced so closely on the stem.

o

I had a Gaura years back. Couldn't think of the name. The flowers do resemble it but the one I had was not nearly as tall as these. Maybe just a different variety. Thanks for that reminder though, I'll have to look to see if this is maybe some variety of that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here