Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name this smell...?

Posted by scarletsflowers none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 16:02

I was doing some late night gardening last night and pulled this - what i believe could of been a flower? Possibly rose? I'm not certain, i've been weeding around it all summer to let it grow, i believe i ripped it out once already and it came back and since it wasnt terrible looking i let it grow, but the smell... i touched it, it's like pepper, i normally love pepper but i just dont like the smell from touching the plant. Black pepper is the closest smell i can associate it with.

There's a good chance i didnt get all the root as it wasn't terribly easy to get up.

Incase it does come back, any idea or suggestions on what this plant is / was ?

Thanks, Scarlet wa zone 8

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name this smell...?

close up of leaves

o

the bottom have i must of ripped off.

o

The leaves look like a rose to me and in the last photo it has thorns on the stem. I don't understand the smell.

o

It might be Reine des Violettes. Check on Rose or Antique rose forums. They're very knowledgable group.

If you want to check the photos, click on the photo tab on the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reine des Violettes

o

Thanks zackey :) Yes, the smell is very off putting and i guess one could say wear gloves but sometimes i like to just stop and smell the flowers and this one... i'd pretty sure id keep walking by.

o

Oh dear :/ i feel like a bully now , since reading how gorgeous it was meant to be but ugh.

Thanks for the link true-blue!

o

Most welcome!

If it was an own root plant it is possible that it will sprout again :-)

o

Might just be Rosa multiflora

o

Well have to admit that both specie's of rose, plant, are very pretty. If it grows back i will find a new location for it. To pretty to go to waste. Somewhere - where i dont have to think about the smell. Haha

Thanks all for the help :)

o

It could be multiflora, now that lycopus said that, because multiflora stinks to high heaven all year, not just while blooming. I'd say keep an eye on it next spring and if it's multiflora, shovel prune.

o

I certainly will, thank you. maybe it wont feel to encouraged to come back after i've tilled and seeded with my lupine and billy buttons and other million other seeds i've purchased.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here