Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does new growth on cuttings mean that it has rooted?

Posted by needinfo001 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 16:06

I have some crape myrtle cuttings that i started about 16 days ago. They have some slight new growth from the leaf nodes and from the top of the cutting. Does this mean that it has rooted?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does new growth on cuttings mean that it has rooted?

you already know what the plant is ..

i answered in your other post.. when you tug one out.. and it has roots.. that means it rooted..

top growth is not root growth ...

ken

o

ken_adrian

Quit answering my questions!

I dont want to tug on it or pull it out and possible rip any roots that have formed.
That is why i am asking if new growth means if has rooted!

o

Unless you stuck it in clay, you shouldn't rip off any new roots. If in a loose media you shouldn't have any issue.

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell just by top growth. Many plants have enough reserve food/moisture to push a little growth even before roots have struck.

I once saw a cut red maple log about 18" in diameter sprout a 2' long shoot, that didn't die until nearly a year after it was cut, without a single root on it, just from what was stored in the log.

You have to tug on it.

o

I dont want to tug on it or pull it out and possible rip any roots that have formed.
That is why i am asking if new growth means if has rooted!

NO, new top growth does NOT mean it has rooted.

The standard test is to tug GENTLY on the cuttings, after the usual rooting period has passed, to see if it resists the tug. That means ROOTS are in the medium.

2 to 6 weeks is the usual period ... you are a bit early to be seeing roots.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/root-crape-myrtles-clippings-22849.html
"Maintain moist soil conditions and in two to six weeks, the crape myrtle cutting will form roots. To test, pull the clipping gently and if you feel some resistance, it has formed roots and is ready for planting out in the garden or into a larger pot."

o

Why not just dig a hole down on ONE side of the plant? If there are roots down there you should be able to see them. Now don't go using a large tool. Chop Sticks will get you there without disturbing the rest of the plant.....I kid, but you know what I mean...:-))

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here