Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interesting surprise volunteer this summer

Posted by ace61502 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 16:28

We had a lot of rain this spring/early summer, so my back yard had gotten out of control. When it finally dried out enough to mow it, I noticed this and mowed around it, but I have no idea what it is. Any help would be appreciated! I'd hate to lose out on some free food because I don't know what it is, when to harvest it, any special care it needs, etc.

July 27:
 photo July27_zpse3188d87.jpg

July 30:
 photo July30_zps3b9b2871.jpg

Aug 6:
 photo Aug6_zps296fa7fb.jpg

photo Aug6b_zpsca7d1479.jpg

photo Aug6c_zps583a3e6a.jpg

Aug 13:
 photo Aug13_zpsdb94e195.jpg

photo Aug13b_zpsa6672f21.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interesting surprise volunteer this summer

Well some kind of cucurbit for sure but which? Cucurbits will cross pollinate like crazy and the offspring are hybrids so there is no telling if the fruit will be tasty or not. Did you grow any last year?
Joann

o
RE: Interesting surprise volunteer this summer

I've never grown anything in my backyard (several large dogs live with me), and only broccoli, watermelon, blueberries and strawberries in my front yard. Whatever this is, a bird had to have dropped it for me. LOL

Though after seeing this plant not only grow but prosper, I may rethink not gardening back there. They haven't destroyed this one (yet) and it's not protected in the slightest. :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here