Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mysterious unknown weed/wildflower

Posted by tenacre Z5 SW MI (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 16:47

Trying to identify a mysterious weed, and not having much luck over at the "weed" forum. Thought maybe the gurus in this forum might have a clue or two...

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/weeds/msg0810164325794.html?23951

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery weed/wildflower

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mysterious unknown weed/wildflower

Compare to Conyza canadensis.

o

OK thanks for putting me on the right track.

I think it may be Conyza sumatrensis instead of Conyza canadensis, because it is over 2 meters tall. What part of the plant should I photograph and post to help tell the difference?

o

Conyza canadensis can reach 2 m in height and exceptionally large specimens can reach 3.5 m. From what I can father from the Flora of North America it appears that Conyza sumatrensis doesn't occur in North America. Conyza floribunda and C. bonariensis do but don't occur as far north as Michigan, the former only in CA and FL and the latter mostly near the coast from VA south.

o

"Conyza canadensis can reach 2 m in height and exceptionally large specimens can reach 3.5 m. From what I can father from the Flora of North America it appears that Conyza sumatrensis doesn't occur in North America."

OK thanks.

Can someone show me where the "bracts" are in this picture? The link below has higher resolution photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

o

The bracts are the scaly layers around the base of the flower.

o

"The bracts are the scaly layers around the base of the flower."

OK thanks. That's what I thought, but wasn't sure.

In the pictures I posted, they look quite hairy. The info I've found so far on the web says C. canadensis bracts are glabrous.

I'm going to start a separate thread for anyone who would like to discuss this further.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here