Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amaryllis52

plant received as a present

amaryllis52
9 years ago

Hey Guys,

I have just received this plant and I have no idea what it's called. Do you know it's name so I can find out if any special caring is needed?

Thanks a lot

Comments (3)

• amaryllis52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

second image from a different angle.

Unfortunately I don't know any additional details about it. The leafs are pretty hard and thick and some leafs have reddish endings

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

A sempervivum. One of the hens & chicks variety? Looks like the hen is about to set a flower (not showy at all) - which happens every several years. That parent will likely eventually die off leaving you a pot full of the little chicks.

Make a great houseplant. Don't know what they would do planted outside in your zone. I've had some for many years in a rock wall that survive winter air temps of 30-40o below zero.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hens & Chicks

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Yes, a Sempervivum.

The pot should have a drain hole. Water only when the potting mix is dry (perhaps every 2 weeks). It will be happiest outdoors in sun -- but if it hasn't been growing in full sun, transition it gradually over the course of a couple of weeks.

I can't tell what sort of medium it's growing in, but ideally it should be a gritty, quick-draining mix.

More and better care info at GW's Cacti & Succulents forum.