Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant received as a present

Posted by amaryllis52 10a (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 16:55

Hey Guys,

I have just received this plant and I have no idea what it's called. Do you know it's name so I can find out if any special caring is needed?

Thanks a lot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant received as a present

second image from a different angle.

Unfortunately I don't know any additional details about it. The leafs are pretty hard and thick and some leafs have reddish endings

o

A sempervivum. One of the hens & chicks variety? Looks like the hen is about to set a flower (not showy at all) - which happens every several years. That parent will likely eventually die off leaving you a pot full of the little chicks.

Make a great houseplant. Don't know what they would do planted outside in your zone. I've had some for many years in a rock wall that survive winter air temps of 30-40o below zero.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hens & Chicks

o

Yes, a Sempervivum.

The pot should have a drain hole. Water only when the potting mix is dry (perhaps every 2 weeks). It will be happiest outdoors in sun -- but if it hasn't been growing in full sun, transition it gradually over the course of a couple of weeks.

I can't tell what sort of medium it's growing in, but ideally it should be a gritty, quick-draining mix.

More and better care info at GW's Cacti & Succulents forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here