Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's wrong with my pumpkins???

Posted by cornaliad 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 18:02

We planted these pumpkins approximately the middle of May, they were doing great until the last few days. Now they look sick, they have what appears to be little white bugs all over them also. Anyone have any idea what is going on with them and what I can do to save them???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's wrong with my pumpkins???

Here is a better picture of what the leaves are looking like

o

Looks like aphids.

o

there is a garden clinic forum for such questions...

you already know its a pumpkin ... the purpose of this forum

and gourds/pumpkins are covered in the garden cornucopia forum ...

welcome to GW.. just trying to guide you to the right place ... please come back often ...

ken

ps: well cared for plants take care of themselves on some level.. the fact that it looks like they are growing in a bone dry parking lot.. might not be helping it.. a stressed plant becomes much more subject to attack.. as compared to a healthy plant ...

o

Not aphids, distribution is too uniform and on the pumpkins too.

Appearance of mildew (requires only one dew or minor wetting episode to form) and dying leaves (age, underwatering) of mid- to late-season squash (includes pumpkins) can occur suddenly.

Almost looks like the patch was wetted and then had sand or other soil particles spread on it.

Any irrigation or water trucks keeping the dust down on those drive-throughs nearby? Vehicles speeding by?

Pumpkins that have turned orange may not increase in size, you may want to pick those, rinse them, store in a very cool and dry place, they may last until Halloween.

o

Thank you for the responses. If it is mildew and there is soil or sand that got on them, what can we do to save the whole plant, not just the orange ones we have?? Should we spray them with an anti fungal or something?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here